One of the most common and frequent triggers for rosacea flare is sunlight or ultraviolet radiation. Daily sun protection is essential to treat and prevent progression of rosacea.
A sunscreen product whose main active ingredient is a physical agent such as zinc or titanium is recommended for sensitive skin patients and patients who suffer from rosacea. Chemical sunscreens can cause sting and burn and are more likely to irritate the eyes. Chemical sunscreens work by absorbing the ultraviolet rays of sunlight. This is then converted to heat energy in the skin which can cause a flush or flare of rosacea skin. Zinc works by reflecting the sun’s rays and thus does not produce heat in the skin. Zinc is also anti-inflammatory which is ideal for the sensitive skin of rosacea.
Sun protection also includes avoidance of sun exposure during peak hours of the day. Wear a sun protective hat and seek shade when possible. During physical activity, sunscreen should be reapplied every 2-3 hours.
Sunscreens that are great for Rosacea
- Light green cream neutralizes and helps minimize the appearance of redness
- Contains Avène Thermal Spring Water to soothe and soften the skin
- Hydrating and brightening
- Lightweight, oil-free sunscreen that calms and soothe skin
- Contains Niacinamide (vitamin B3) which is anti-inflammatory and can reduce breakout as well as calm skin
- Tinted version also available
- Great for athletes, outdoor activities, water sports, etc.
- Fast-drying and quick absorbing
- Does not leave a white residue
- Water-Resistant – 80 minutes
- Lightweight, oil-free formula that both hydrates the skin with hyaluronic acid and nourishes the skin with antioxidants.
- Won’t clog pores and contains no skin-irritating chemical sunscreen ingredients, no parabens and no fragrances.
Eucerin Daily Protection Face Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 30
- Non-comedogenic and provides broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection
- Gentle for sensitive skin
- Fast absorbing, non-greasy